Saturday, August 20, 2011

God’s Will

What does it mean to accept God’s Will? Verbally saying, thy will be done. Praying for what we want and then adding as an afterthought but thy will be done? How can we truly align ourselves with God to accept his will and have it become our own?

“The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them.” Bible Dictionary

I often think that we think we will/are accepting God’s will but in reality we wait patiently until he grant’s us our will. I think sometimes we are waiting for God’s will to align with our own instead of the other way around.

I have been thinking a lot about what God’s plan for me must be. Very different than what I thought life would be. I feel in my young 29 years of life I have endured many trials. At times I have felt my trials have been more than I should have had to bear, or more than others have been asked to bear which has left me bitter, resentful and feeling very alone. Close to a year ago I told myself I just wouldn’t be able to handle anymore. But we will always have trials…life is hard…and rest does not come in this life. So as long as I am still living I can expect to have trials. I think the key is learning to truly accept God’s will. Maybe then these trials will shape us into what God wants us to be. Often we are too close to the situation to see the bigger picture, where God can see all things and knows so much more than we do.

I have been praying so hard for what I want to happen, what my plan is and I need to start listening to hear what God’s plan is. I had thought the lord was just teaching me patience but in the end I would eventually get what I wanted. But I am starting to see that may not be true and I need to accept whatever he is willing to give me.

At a time when I think that I should be in the pit of despair I feel something very different…not sure if it is denial…numbness…or truly just peace.

A beautiful hymn and poem written by someone in her darkest hour…truly in turmoil and grief

Where can I turn for peace?

Where is my solace when other sources cease to make me whole?

When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,

I draw myself apart, searching my soul

Where, when my aching grows, where when I languish,

Where, in my need to know, where can I run?

Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?

Who, who can understand? He, only One.

He answers privately, reaches my reaching

In Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.

Gentle is the peace he finds for my beseeching.

Constant he is and kind, Love without end.

God is the only who can give us peace because he is truly the only that has suffered in the same way we personally do. I pray for the strength to accept his will whatever that may be. Just when we think we can endure no longer he will be there to carry you. Life is hard and always will be, but that is why God sent his son so we can be made whole.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this Lucy. I am so sorry you're hurting and that the trial you have to face is so heartbreaking. You are amazing and I'm sure the Lord has great things in store for you in one form or the other. Thanks for your testimony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am on your same path. Trials are so hard and personally trying to learn from them is what I am struggling with. I pray for you and I thank you for your sweet testimony and reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy!
    I have been thinking about you lately and decided to find your blog to see what you've been up to. Your last post was so eloquent and just what I needed to hear so thanks. I don't know what trials you are going through right now but to go through them with that outlook is really incredible. I have always and do still admire and look up to you in so many ways. You are truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy, thanks for the wise perspective, I needed it! You're amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lucy! My heart aches for you through your struggles. I too wish that understanding God's Will was as easy as saying that you trust it. I agree that you have had to endure far too many of the hard things in life, but there must be a reason for all of it. One of them, I am sure, is that people like us can learn from your testimony and strength. I pray that you can find peace and comfort on whatever difficult journey you are traveling right now. If anyone deserves to be happy it is you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't checked blogs in a long time. Glad I did. You are such a strong person...I have so much to learn from you. Landon is one lucky guy! Sure love you guys and am excited to see you very soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete